euphoria complete review - no spoilers

 What a SHOW! 

It definitely deserves the hype, here is why.

When I started watching euphoria, I thought that it was basically a teenage drama, where a girl who is dealing with addiction falls in love with a transgender girl, and the way that they were producing was in my opinion at first, was with a little bit more emotional and harsh.(because there is difficult and harsh topics and issues such as drugs, etc.) But actually, it was much more intense, touching and also tragic. Let's see why I found euphoria that way. 

"Euphoria is an American teen drama television series created by Sam Levinson. Euphoria follows a group of high school students through their experiences of sex, drugs, friendships, love, identity and trauma. The series stars Zendaya and premiered on HBO on June 16, 2019."  

When you look at this picture, what do you see? Let's just say, what an outsider would think of this photo? This picture, could be a scene in a basic, teenage/high school drama, which definitely can be a show on Netflix, such as Elite, Atypical, Everything Sucks. However, in this picture, after watching the whole show, I see four broken girls, in so many different way, with so different stories. All of them, try to keep it going and they don't let go, they try not to hurt others, but they end up being the ones that get hurt. In everyday life, we live like this as well, don't we? Especially in high school, we don't know what awaits us in the near future, and we act kind of with the flow. We make mistakes, we don't go with the right way. As humans, we have so many complex problems, that we think are insolvable, we cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel? You may say that everybody in high school had some problems going on, but actually, I think sometimes, we are the ones that create the problems for each other, and if we do not try to solve them, we end up making them bigger, with a snowball effect. 

This show's main focus is on the character "Rue Bennett" portrayed by the one and only Zendaya. She is a drug addict, kinda traumatized, and depressed 17 year old girl. After something tragic happenning in her life, she also is diagnosed with a mental disorder at the age of 8, her life starts to fall apart. Our show, starts with her talking about her own experience and during the whole show, she is the narrator, that we kinda get an opinion on the characters and we kind of start to understand  why some of characters act in such way, that you would not understand only by watching. 

There are a lot of flashbacks, you lose your sense of time, you unite different time lines into one, you are always integrated with the actions going on in the show. They feel sad, you have stomachache, the are angry, you lash out in your mind (especially to Nate, but that's another type of anger, even hatred, literally f*ck nate jacobs) This show, is also, even if you have not realized, a cinematic heaven. The colors, -the color palette- the way that actors are dressed, the makeup, the change of scenery, and shots... Everything was perfect about the cinematic universe that they have created. 

BUT, why people are actually obsessed with the show?

I believe, the simple answer for this question would be : it's real. Characters don't do what they are actually supposed to do, they don't believe that the actual, right choice exists, or even if they know that it exists,they don't choose it. They have fears, anxieties,problems, dilemmas. They sometimes care too much, they sometimes *never* care what others do, there are the type of people, which we call "people pleaser" in real life, and the portrayal of the gen z high school experience, this show is quite accurate. But I should warn you, this show is really intense, and if you had a similar experience, in any time period in your life, you can be triggered by watching this show. Yes, euphoria demonstrates the actual way gen z lives, the way they think, the way they act, however it puts the experience out there, in a very raw and hardcore way. So, if you think that you might be triggered, just be warned. There is also +18 content, dare I say. 

*spoiler alert for the next paragraph*

The camera angles in the show, really makes you think that you are high, on drugs or alcohol, or even makes you feel numb. This is one of the best effects of the show, yet, it made me feel sick as well. If you have similar experience or similar traumas, even the littlest things can affect you and can have a small amount of influence on you. For me it was a toxic relationship and losing a parent. When we learned that Rue has lost her father, it hit me differently because I lost my father when I was 2, and that is a trauma that no one should have, I believe. Yes, I was 2, I don't remember it that much, I didn't have a relationship with my dad I remember, but you know what, what if I had? What would happen then? What if my dad died when I was 10? Would the effect be the same? Would I end up being like Rue? Or, what if my toxic relationship ended up like Maddy and Nate? Maddy is a hurt girl, and nobody can take her out of that situation but Maddy. Maddy, is the only person that can  save her. It is really hard to realize how a person treats you, and it is even harder to understand if they are treating you in a wrong way. We also experience the LGBTQ community's problems, issues and how we should act upon the topic. With the way that Jules is described throughout the show, has made me feel sick, because I was never treated the same way she was, just because I'm cis. And just because she's transgender, she is not seen as a woman by most of the guys she goes out, hangs out with, and that is not normal, or even it is not correct. 

I think that there are a lot of girls and boys, who are problematic, but there is no one, who is 100%  perfect, and this gives us an idea how our lives are formed, and how we can never be perfect. The key point is, not to fall on our mistakes, and we have to reflect on our faults, and try not to do them again. Yes, of course, we will make mistakes again, but if we let go, it can be the end of us. 

-Helin ÜZÜM

follow me on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/helstudies_/?hl=fr

follow me on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeXwbp2x9fT42GSIqI9O5Pg/about?view_as=subscriber


Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar